Are these important to you?
- Yes areas are considered important by Tongan language group
- Specific mentions of needing more Tongan teacher qualified to teach the Tongan language
- Desire to see more home-based schooling opportunities for Tongan families to teach Tongan culture and language
- Need more education opportunities and relationships with parents so they feel like they are part of the education system
Is there something missing? What would you change?
- Need Ministry of Education to provide facilitators to help Tongan parents, as a navigator type role
- There is no connection between primary and secondary schools so need better transitions
- Need a way to better understand what the standards are in education and it is easier to understand how to pass and what is involved
- More funding for the Tongan language to be taught every day of the week. It is only taught once a week, for example, at Riccarton High School
- Meaningful connection between school and work
- NCEA standards that are relevant to Pacific students and can help them support their families
- Closer relationships between Health support services and vulnerable learners and families
- Support and guidance for Tongan language to be home language for students
Christchurch Tongan and Samoan language group fono summary [PDF]