Budget 2020 provides $36.2 million of additional funding to support the transition to a more qualified educator workforce, including:
- a 3.8% increase in quality rate for home-based services from January 2021. This is in addition to the 1.6% cost adjustment from 1 January 2021 for services on the quality rate
- visiting teacher support payments for services on the standard rate with educators completing the Level 4 qualification, and
- fees assistance for up to 2,646 students that are not eligible for fees free.
Visiting teacher support payments
Budget 2020 allocated $1.496 million each year for four years to visiting teacher support payments. The visiting teacher support payments are intended to help educators completing the Level 4 ECE qualification.
Ways to effectively spend this funding may include:
- Organising seminars where visiting teachers support multiple educators in training
- Visiting teachers providing support to educators in another language, and
- More one-on-one time spent with educators.
The Ministry is currently working through the details of the fees assistance, which will begin in 2021. We expect to make announcements on eligibility for this assistance late 2020.